Skip to main content


Showing posts with the label Accidents and investigations

Severe Burn from Short Circuited Li-Ion Battery . LFI

What happened? A crew member suffered severe burns when a Lithium-Ion battery on his person exploded and caught fire. The crew member was about to do the last task of the shift. He picked up a set of keys and a spare battery for his vaporizer from the table and put them in his pocket. He heard a loud bang and surprised, looked around to see the origin of the sound, and only then finding out that he was on fire. A motorman working nearby came to his aid and together they managed to get his boiler suit off. They saw the burning battery on the deck and stamped out the fire. Further assistance was called, and first aid was applied. The injured person was medevac’d shortly after to a shore-based hospital, where he was treated for 10 days before being repatriated to his home and undergoing further treatment. What was the cause? The metal keys created a short circuit with the battery. Carrying the battery in his pocket with the keys enabled the keys to provoke a ‘thermal runaway’ by either pu

Fatality During Pressure Test . LFI

A fatal incident has been reported which, while it took place on a drilling rig, is also relevant to many vessel operations. During a pressure test with nitrogen, a pressure relief valve in the treating line vented. The valve was rigged up in a vertical position approximately 60cm above the height of the line. As the valve vented, the assembly rotated through 90 degrees and hit the deck of the rig. During this rotation the assembly struck a crew member on the temple causing a fatal injury. Following investigation, the following points were noted: ♦ As the valve vented, the force caused the vertical stack to rotate through 90 degrees until it came into contact with the deck; ♦ The crew member was in the high pressure area while pressure was being applied in order to check the pressure on an instrument in the vicinity. The following lessons were drawn from the incident: ♦ There should be an exclusion zone around all high pressure equipment under test. No personnel should be in this zone

Learning From Incident

On 2nd July 2018, one employee while involved in the catalyst drum decontamination activity, slipped in OWS (Finishing area) and got burn injury in right foot due to presence of hot water What went wrong?  The grating fitment was improper  Safer area for the drums washing was not defined  The hazards with hot water was not identified Key Learning:  Periodic audit shall be carried out to identify defective / improper installed grating and repair / replace as required  Be vigilant and attentive while working on the job  Identify hazards / unsafe conditions in working area and get it corrected Comment your recommendation .... 

Company and director fined after worker falls from height

Prior Homes Limited and company Director Paul Prior have been sentenced after the failure to control the risks associated with working on a fragile roof led to a worker sustaining serious injuries. Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard how two men were removing panels on a fragile roof when one of them fell through to the floor approximately five metres below. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Prior Homes Limited had failed to plan the work on the roof or to carry out this work safely. In addition, the investigation also found that, as the Director Paul Prior was personally in charge of this work, he had consented to the unsafe working practices. Prior Homes Limited of Station Road, Gillingham, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and was fined £9,334 and ordered to pay costs of £6,398.20. Paul Prior pleaded guilty to breaching section 37(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 a

The Human body that can referred while filling the accident Reports